Monday, August 13, 2012

A Bluer Sky

Art by MC Blackman

Gorgeous poster by MC Blackman for A Bluer Sky, the fictional musical being put on in Calling the Show. Often in writing, the little details that don't really move the story along get chopped during the editing process. Early drafts of CtS had a bit more info on A Bluer Sky, which was written by an alum of Hollander College and centers around the Battle of Lundy's Lane during the War of 1812 and real-life soldier Jarvis Hanks, a fourteen-year-old who joined the U.S. army as a drummer boy.

A Bluer Sky was my nod to theater's tradition of musicalizing wars--from 1776 to Civil War to Les Miserables and Miss Saigon, you can't beat the solo-worthy crises people face during wartime. I liked the idea of my characters falling for each other against the backdrop of a War of 1812 musical, and it was fun to imagine a big jock like Brayden Matthews playing 14-year-old Jarvis Hanks.

I love this poster even more since I recently got to see photos of the creation process. A really cool mix of photography and torn paper. Thanks, MC.

1 comment:

  1. Anytime, Rock. I'm itching for a new project, so throw me a bone whydontcha.

    ReplyDelete