Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dammit, Michigan!


(And most of the other states)

One of my WsIP is a sequel to Wacky Wednesday. I just wrapped up a first draft, and I’m now in rewrites. I don’t think it’s too much of a spoiler to say the book centers around Jayk and Amon’s wedding, which as of right now takes place in Grosse Pointe Park, MI.

If you read WW, you may recall Chatham-Kent, the tiny Canadian town Jayk and his friend Connor paint one day while playing hooky from community college. I thought Grosse Pointe would be a great location for the wedding because it’s quaint and quiet and only an hour away from Chatham-Kent, which meant Jayk could totally have his bachelor party in C-K.

I wrote an entire draft of this book without it ever occurring to me that gay marriage isn’t legal in Michigan.

It just hit me the other day, and I was like, How could I have forgotten?

Here’s how I could have forgotten:

IT’S 2012.

It’s 2012, and I no longer wish to waste time acknowledging my country’s ridiculous prejudices. I will be here living my life, treating everyone as equals and expecting them to do the same for me. You catch up when you can, America.

It just makes me feel gross to think that after all this time, I can’t set a contemporary wedding anywhere I want because the two people involved are both men.

I spend so much time now in the wonderful world of fiction, interacting with other writers and readers who are open minded and loving that sometimes it’s a shock to find myself back in real life where it’s like, REALLY? Still with the it’s-the-government’s-job-to-police-marriage bullshit? Yeah, Scalia, still workin’ that gay-love-like-man-on-dog-sex platform?

REALLY, SUPPOSEDLY FREE COUNTRY IN THE 21ST CENTURY?

REALLY???

I could rant more, but I’ll stop here. Just know that if this book gets published, the paranormal/fantasy label might not refer to body-swapping madness, but to the book being set in some magical alternate universe where Michigan recognizes gay marriage.

Poster by ariahfine

2 comments:

  1. That poster is absolutely brilliant!

    Australia is doing the same as the US: one state goes for it, federal overturns it, someone says "Ooh! Civil unions!" and the next government throws that out... It's depressing when it's two steps forward and one step back, but it's going to happen.

    Also...Wacky Wednesday sequel?? PRAISE JEBUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is depressing, and I do think it is going to happen eventually...but it's always going to be embarrassing how long it took.

    WW sequel has been submitted for consideration. It's pretty darn wacky. Maybe too wacky. We'll see what my editor says.

    ReplyDelete