Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop


Last week I was tagged by the fabulous Kari Gregg in The Next Big Thing Blog Hop. Kari answered ten questions about her new release I Don't: A Christmas Wish, which looks fantastic. So today, I’m sharing a little about my WIP, which I co-wrote with Lisa Henry.

1. What is the working title of your book?  

Insert Title Here/The Principle/The Principles of Trust/Good Boy—oh, that’s taken? The Good Boy, then. We finally landed on The Good Boy. Like, a few days ago.

2. Where did the idea come from for the book? 

From a lot of e-mails. Lisa’s first question when she said yes to co-writing was “So what do you want to write about?” Took a while to narrow that down.

3. What is the genre of the book? 

Contemporary M/M BDSM.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie
rendition? 

Maybe William Moseley or Logan Lerman (I’d have to see him with lighter hair first) for Lane. No idea about Derek, our other MC. Can Tom Hardy sound American? I don’t even care; I just care about his chest and face. You know who I’d love to see as Acton Wagner, our villain-y guy? John Hamm. He was such a good creep in that SNL sketch with Michael Buble. I’d like to see him as a non-funny creep.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 

No! Don’t make me distill information! Um… Introverted college student Lane Moredock, the son of white collar criminals, learns to trust again after he’s made the victim of a revenge plot by a former investor in his parents’ company.

That was terrible. I don't even know if it makes sense. And look at all that passive voice. Lisa? Help?

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency/publisher?  

Represented by a publisher, we hope.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?  

Would you believe a month for a 95,000 word draft? We each did a NaNoWriMo’s worth of writing. This project had mad momentum.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?  

Oh gosh. I mean, it came from both of us, so it’s similar in some ways to things we’ve each written in the past. Can I compare it to our own work? Is that cheating? It’s got sort of a By His Rules bad-“relationship”- to-good-relationship thing going. And a very Lisa Henry high-stakes, threat-to-couple’s-happiness-is-both-external-and-internal, before-it’s-too-late feel. And there's spanking.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book? 

I started to get curious about co-writing at some point last year. I loved Lisa’s work, and we’d been e-mail pen pals for a while. So I asked (it was terrifying; I felt like a Michael Cera character trying to ask a hot girl to prom. I ran away from my computer after I sent the e-mail.)—and she said yes. So I guess what inspired the book was our agreement to write something together, our mutual interest in dark stuff, h/c, and non-con, and the 20,000 e-mails we wrote each other about other things we might like to see happen in a book—like spanking and spicy things and funny pets.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?  

There’s a foul-mouthed macaw named Mr. Zimmerman. His former owner was a grumpy old man with health problems, so now he randomly shouts rude words and complains about his hips.

Now it’s my turn to tag. On December 20th, go see what the freaking awesome Katey Hawthorne is up to! Katey was the first Loose Id author I ever read (almost exactly one year ago), and her books kick ass. I’m also tagging Lisa Henry. I WONDER WHAT HER LATEST PROJECT IS??

P.S.—If you’ve made it this far, why not check out what’s going on right below this post? It’s a giveaway with fantabulous KayBerrisford, and it runs through December 16th!

4 comments:

  1. John Hamm would be perfect! Although with a successful restaurant like Hamm and Buble, he's probably too busy to act these days.

    And that's a great one sentence synopsis! I'm stealing it, BTW, for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if Michael Buble escapes and John is forced to shut down the restaurant, he'll come do our movie...

      Delete
  2. You know, I think Tom Hardy is capable of an American accent... just not a Pittsburgh one.

    I STILL LOVED WARRIOR I DON'T CARE.

    Also I need this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too--NEVER BE ASHAMED!!

      But yeah, I kinda forgot he was supposed to be American in that.

      Delete