Monday, July 8, 2013

Being a horrible blogger--but look, a free story

I wish I had an excuse for how bad I've been about blogging lately. And maybe I do: I've been writing a whole lot. I came back from Chile and moved into a gorgeous farmhouse that needs a sitter for a few months. It's so quiet and the hawks cast shadows on the mountains and it has central vacuuming, and sometimes I wonder if it's all a dream. Then I smell my dog, who got skunked two days ago, and I know it's all very, very real.

So yes, writing. Lisa Henry and I are at it again with a tale of frat house love. I'm revising a book I've been struggling with for a year and a half now that doesn't seem to want to get any better--just longer. Yes, yes, if I keep writing new words, perhaps that will make the words that are already there good...

If only writing worked that way.

I'm also departing from my contemporary comfort zone and working on a Victorian-ish thing, which is great fun. I consider my recent purchases from corset-story.com's Biggest Sale Ever and the subsequent photos of me in a Victorian wig, various corsets, and frilly knickers "research."

So that's what's going on here. I'm also getting ready for my second go at being a bridesmaid. This time I promise I will not oil paint seven dollar Walmart flats to match my dress and then track green paint all over the reception hall. I am, however, in charge of holding the pole of a chuppah, and I see so much potential for this to go wrong.

My LHNB story "The Brat Whisperer" is now available at the mmromance website with free PDF, mobi, or epub downloads, and here's a little write up from Rainbow Book Reviews.

I think that's enough topic jumping for one night.


7 comments:

  1. I want to come crash your farmhouse!! (Don't fear, I can't afford any more plane tickets this year ;)) But I am hugely excited about all your WIPs, including the Victorian-ish one! As you know, I love corset!kink (one day will have to brush off my own ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome at the farmhouse anytime, as long as you can befriend the black snake that lives under the porch.

      I think you need to publish your corsetkink first, so I can read it and leech off your history knowledge :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, what is central vacuuming? I'm asking because my house has no form of vacuuming whatsoever. I mean, there's that machine in the box in the bottom of the cupboard in the back room, but that doesn't count, surely.

    I want one of those robot vacuum cleaners. Mainly so I can watch it freak the cats out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get a Roomba and put a chicken on it and watch the chicken ride it around. I don't have a chicken. But I'd get one if I got a Roomba.

      Central vacuuming is awesome. I also didn't know about it either. There are outlets throughout the house, and two long hoses, one in the upstairs closet, one in the downstairs. You plug the hose into one of the wall outlets and vacuum. No vacuum bags. No machine you have to push around. I don't know where all the dirt and dog hair goes, but I imagine there are fantastic little creatures living in the walls who have built a magical city using all the stuff I've vacuumed up.

      Delete
    2. I want central vacuuming. Sadly, I don't think my 1920s house would support it.

      And the Chicken Roomba? Hell yes.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog entries. Seriously, if there is a BDSM humour genre, you've got it cornered. Even when it's not BDSM.

    Off to check out your free story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy them, Justine. Thanks so much for reading.

      Delete