Thursday, May 7, 2015

THE GRAND BALLAST is a thing that will happen soon!

So for the past two years I've been working on a book called THE GRAND BALLAST. It was originally conceived as a ~30K novella about a guy who works in a sex circus, and then it grew and grew and became a 95K novel about obsession, art, love...and a sex circus. And it's finally about to be a thing that people can buy, on June 29th!

We've got some gorgeous cover art by MC Blackman:



We've got a blurb:

In a future where live sex shows abound to keep a jaded population entertained, dancer Bode Martin falls for the brilliant and unstable Kilroy Ballast, who molds Bode into the star attraction of his erotic circus, the Grand Ballast. Drugged beyond any real feeling, Bode trades his freedom and his once considerable pride for an illusion of tenderness—until he rescues a young man from a rival show, and together they flee to an eccentric town in the west where love still means something.

Valen’s not an easy man to know, and Bode shed his romantic notions under Kilroy’s brutal employ. Yet their growing affection becomes a strange and dangerous salvation as they attempt to overthrow the shadows of their pasts and wade together through a world of regret, uncertainty, beauty, and terror.

But Kilroy isn’t going to let Bode go so easily. Long ago, Bode was responsible for the loss of something Kilroy held dear, and he still owes Kilroy a debt. As the three men battle toward a tangled destiny, Bode must decide if his love for Valen is worth fighting for—or if he was and always will be a pawn in the story Kilroy Ballast will never stop telling.

And we have a warning that while this does feature a love story, it is not a genre romance. Which I guess is just my way of saying there's some violence, and the love story is not the main focus. I established a few weeks ago that I'm not really sure what makes a romance, but just know that this is definitely not man-chest-on-the-cover romance, and that there are potential abuse and sexual violence triggers.

I'm excited to share this with you guys, and I'll be posting excerpts and such in the coming weeks!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Shan!!! I can't wait to hug your guts out this summer!

      Delete
  2. There are few things that get me excited about new book and and one of them is "this is not romance" coming from you. :)
    Other thing is, apparently, erotic circus. :D
    Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lege! I'm so excited that someone actually wants to read a nonromance from me. :) Hope you enjoy.

      Delete
    2. What..? I love your nonromancey books!
      Based on experience- I think Another Man's Treasure was also promoted as non romance and The Silvers as speculative fiction. Even Take the Long Way Home ended up being something completely original while following traditional romance formula...
      Your nonromance works are pushing all my buttons, t makes me happy to see there will be more unconventional stories.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! That makes me so excited to keep doing it.

      Delete